Subscribe:

Labels

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

This conversation happened last week.

Hubby: Mommy got a package in the mail.
Small Child: Is it a book?
My child knows me well, but what he didn't know was that one of the books was for him.

I do my best to encourage a love of reading in my house. One of the things that I do is to expand upon books we've read with activities. Here are the activities we did with How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World.

We made apple turnovers.
 
We talked about the life cycle of an apple.
 
We planted apple seeds.
 
We had a lot of fun with these activities. In fact, he was the one who suggested we take them a step further and plant the apple seeds. As he gets older, I'm hoping to continue exploring books with him.

3 comments:

Stina said...

I love this idea. Too bad my kids are too old for it. Not too old to make apple pie (yum) and plant the seeds. But too old to read a picture book.

Or so they claim . . . until it's time for me to get rid of their old PBs. Oh how they baulked at that idea.

Krystalyn Drown said...

Thanks! Yes, I totally used literacy as an excuse to make an apple turnover.

Lottie Eve said...

Awww. Your child is adorable :) I like the idea of adding fun activities to promote literacy. Something that many of my grade school teachers did.

Post a Comment