Subscribe:

Labels

Friday, March 5, 2010

Meeting Lisa McMann

Last weekend, I got the chance to go a book signing/reading by Lisa McMann. Now, I've blogged before about how awesome her Wake series is. I even utilized the style used in the books to create a character sketch for Spirit World. You can read Mars's Story here. So, you can imagine how excited I was to go this signing.

It was held in the Vero Beach Book Center which is an adorable store with the bottom half dedicated to children's fare, including a small theatre area, and the top half with new and used books. And since I drove all the way from Orlando to go to the signing, they gave me a free tote bag. Win!

Lisa started off with a few stories about her road to publication with the Wake series, including how she came to be the photographer for the chair image on Gone. Then, she opened up the floor to questions, of which there were many interesting answers. My favorite tale was how she used to work at a book store and ended up going to dinner with Madeline L'Engle, one of my personal heroes.

When it came time for her to read, she allowed us to choose the excerpts. In the end, she decided she had enough time for two readings, one from her upcoming YA novel and one from her upcoming MG novel. I am excited about reading both, but the later, a story where children are branded as wanted, necessary, or unwanted, sounded truly fascinating.

It was also Lisa's birthday, and the book store treated us all to Gone cupcakes. And yes, the book was edible, and turned my mouth blue. =)



Finally, she met with us all and signed our books, at which point I was possibly a little too giddy, but that's okay. I had a great time and that's all that matters.




FYI, this was Small Child's second book signing, and he did pretty well. I've got a future reader on my hands. But right now, he's still working on not eating the books after he's finished with them.

3 comments:

SusanKMann said...

What a great day. The cupcakes look great, so unusual. Your little boy has been to more book signings than me. Not many authors come to where I live ;) Great post. xx

Sadako said...

Lucky! I love going to book signings, esp. when it's a writer I love.

Krystalyn Drown said...

That's the beauty of living in Orlando, I guess. So many cool things happening. We even had the RT convention here last year.

Thanks for stopping by.

Post a Comment